Basic Sciences Trainee Affinity Groups
Affinity groups are social and professional organizations that amplify and celebrate the experiences of individuals with a common historically excluded identity. These groups provide a social “brave” space for members of an identity group to share resources and experiences, promoting inclusivity while recognizing diversity and providing a support system. Groups for the Basic Sciences are modeled on those available to medical students. MCB and Immunology DEI Committees collaborated to facilitate the nucleation of these groups in the research community. These groups are fully autonomous and organized and shaped by, and for, the trainees in each group. Affinity Group meetings will start in Fall 2021. To receive information about meetings and group activities, please subscribe to the group listserv below. We are excited to offer these groups to assist in the formation of these groups to celebrate our diverse community of scholars. For general questions, please email email@example.com. For questions about a specific group, please email the facilitator using the email address below.
- Email address: Gradst_postdoc_affinity_latinx@uw.edu
- User signup/subscribe: http://mailman11.u.washington.edu/mailman/listinfo/gradst_postdoc_affinity_latinx
- New: We are looking for faculty champions for the Latinx affinity group. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested.
- Middle Eastern North African (MENA)
- Email address: Gradst_postdoc_affinity_mena@uw.edu
- User signup/subscribe: http://mailman11.u.washington.edu/mailman/listinfo/gradst_postdoc_affinity_mena
- New: We are looking for faculty champions for the MENA affinity group. Please email email@example.com if you are interested.
- Email address: Gradst_postd_affinity_indigenous@uw.edu
- User signup/subscribe: http://mailman11.u.washington.edu/mailman/listinfo/gradst_postd_affinity_indigenous
- New: We are looking for faculty champions for the Indigenous affinity group. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested.
- Email address: Gradst_postdoc_affinity_lgbtqia@uw.edu
- User signup/subscribe: http://mailman11.u.washington.edu/mailman/listinfo/gradst_postdoc_affinity_lgbtqia
- Asian and Asian American Affinity Group
- Email address: email@example.com
- User signup/subscribe: http://mailman11.u.washington.edu/mailman/listinfo/aandf
There was also interest in forming groups for other identities (including Black). However, we are still working to identify trainee facilitators for these groups. If you’re interested in learning more about the facilitator role or would like to propose a new group, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.